Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I went home last night to add information to the blog and the internet was still down, so I'm sorry I was unable to fill you in on everything.

The only thing I can really tell you that would give you more insight about his Tuesday is the fact that the HO in his legs is really causing some problems. It has just been esxcruciatingly painful. The doctors came in the night before and told him that they felt like the muscle in his left leg had not attached properly and that they may need to re-do the surgery, skin grafts, and basically start over on that leg - that was devistating news. They sent him to x-ray for extra looks at his legs for the Orthopedic rounds that would come about 2pm. At about 2:20 the doctors came and in and told David there was absolutely no concern with the muscles on his legs and that he was fine to start using the shrinkers.

Sometimes these miscommunicated things cause an enormous amount of distressing feelings when they really don't need to, but the last bit of news was fantastic.

Within an hour or two, Bart came in to show David how to use the Shrinkers. Keep in mind that the HO is so painful, on his right leg, that if you blow on it - it is extremely painful and now they want to put an extremely tight elastic stocking over the end of his leg. Bart told him that he could take them off immediately if the pain was too great. Let me tell you how the shrinkers go on: David is provided with a cylindrical tube about a foot long and the shrinker is stretched tightly over the tube and then the tube is pushed up his leg until the stocking is about half way on and then the rest is put on by hand. I'm not sure if I explained it that well, but it works quite well if the tube fits over your leg. The left one went on quite well and then they started on the right one. They got it half the way on and David was almost crawling off the top of the bed because of the pain. "Take it Off, Take it Off!!!" It was very painful. We left because he really needed some rest after the experience. When we came back he had it on and was just dealing with the pain.

He guttet it out all night long. It was fantastic in the way of progressing to a new level, but the stress on it caused his temperature to increase to 103. It is down to 101 now but they are still working on it and David is sleeping - I'm assuming because of the extra stess it has put on his body. We're finding that it really in Davids best interest for us to stay away unless we are really needed - he really needs his rest on some days and so each day we just stay extremely flexible. Once again we deal with entirely new and developing problems.

Some of the things I am hearing about David and the incredible things he has done for others, while in Iraq and in Afghanistan, I sincerely wish I could put in this blog, but out of my love and respect for David and his wishes, those things will be said when and if David decides to share them. One thing I can tell you is that; never, not at any time, has David every done anything for the recognition - he sincerely cares for those he serves, whether they are Americans, Iraqis, or Afghanis - it's they way we all need to be......

I may learn a little more after the nurse comes back in and discusses David's current test results.

I just want to tell Todd and Brian to "EAT YOUR HEART OUT!" Because of another wonderfully generous and caring individual who is very sensitive to David's situation, I was invited to play the Congressional Golf Club Blue Course, home of the US OPEN. Once again, I feel like I have another great friend because of David. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - both Lynnette, Myself, David, and Catherine have really been blessed to gain new associations with absolutely incredible people.

One of the custodians here is also fantastic - every time he comes by Davids room, he leans in and says "How ya doin' champ?" and I really believe he wants to know. His spirit really lifts everybody and he just makes you smile.

David just rolled into this computer room so I'm taking off for awhile.

All My Love,

Gordon

1 comment:

  1. Dear Gordon, my husband Elijah and I are friends of Davids, and I have just today discovered this blog and been sincerely blessed by the life and love you have shared here for your son. Our prayers are certainly with all of you. My husband and I are hoping to come and visit David here in a few weeks, and as I am looking for hotels I realized I don't know where David is (not exactly). If you have time, I would greatly appreciate some insight to the DC area, and the vicinity of the hospital where David is staying. My e-mail address is: nybeth@juno.com, and my phone number is: (760)884-7111. Thanks again for your excellent journal entries,
    Sincerely,
    Bethany Parson
    PS (you may remember meeting my husband and I at a mexican restaurant in Old Town, San Diego in the Summer of 2007)

    ReplyDelete