Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sunday, December 19, 2010 @ 1210

Happy Holidays,

I'm sitting downstairs at my own home and, with almost 6 months away from home this year, home feels a little bit foreign. I should be in church right now but Lynnette is having another gall bladder attack and I don't feel comfortable to leave her alone. She'll have surgery tomorrow morning and that should take care of the problem - fingers crossed.

David wanted to stay in San Diego for the holiday season and have some "Me" time - I absolutely understand. These seven months have been all but alone time.

I wanted to take a moment and tell you a little about last Thursday. Occupational Therapy had a little Christmas celebration and it was quite touching to be there. Keep in mind that Occupational Therapy does not just deal with soldiers, they deal with dependents and retirees and help in any way they can to get individuals past injuries, or strokes, or rehab from surgery.
Well, there were individuals in the kitchen cooking tortillas, steak, cookies, etc. David was in charge of rolling some of the cookies out and they another soldier was in charge of timing the cookies and then the cookies would be taken to the nurse who had to have both of her legs and hands amputated and she would use her new hooks to carefully place large chocolate kisses on each cookie. It was all very tender to watch as carols were being sung.

As soon as it was over it was back to business and more therapy.

I won't see David for 10 days so I won't be able to write much in the way of giving you updates but I wanted to take a moment and let you know how blessed we feel. You all know that you only have to go next door or down the block to find a situation that is much worse than your own. David and I were talking this week and I felt it important to express to him that there was absolutely nothing that was in his long term plans that would need to be left out. If he wants to run, he will. If he wants to have children, he will. If he wants to travel to foreign countries and serve those people, he will. If he wants to mountain bike to the top of a mountain, he will. Things will definitely be more difficult - but they are all attainable. He has all of his faculties, he has his sense of humor, he, to me, is one incredible young man with all the potential he has ever had.

I don't feel I can possibly express to you just how blessed we feel. All will be OK!

Merry Christmas to all of you following this blog and thank you for your support and prayers.

This week will be spent getting a great fit on David's new sockets and then the first of the year will be knees and re-learning the proper way to walk. I think it's going to be a great 2011.

All My Love,

Gordon

1 comment:

  1. Dave, Gordon & Fam-
    Have a great holiday season, and I am so impressed with how you have all handled this situation. It speaks volumes about the kind of people you are and the example you have been to your children and to everyone else around you. Dave you are truly amazing and I am so proud of you. What a great amount of things you have accomplished in such a short life. I am so glad that you haven't forgotten your sense of humor, that was always one of my favorite parts about you.

    ReplyDelete