Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuesday, 01/11/11 @ 11 pm

I had to write the date different because it looked so cool. Today was a good day preparing for tomorrow. Tomorrow is a great day and it hasn't even got here yet. I can't get past the thought of him standing without the emotion flowing in.

David and I both did Yoga today and had a bunch of fun. I still can't understand what the instructor is talking about when she says that this is supposed to be a relaxed and painless way of extending our bodies. It hurt like heck, I thought my rear end was going to break when I was in a pretzel position. I had to laugh when the guy lying to the side of me whispered that he was pretty sure that the human body was not meant to be in positions like these. David was doing different versions of what we were doing but we enjoyed the time.

David walked another 4 laps today on his stubbies. 4 laps is equivalent to approximately 600 yards. He is actually doing it with relative ease. Yesterday Pete, in Prosthetics, said that David's trail back could be up to 2 years. Although he will be on his new legs tomorrow, he won't be at full height for awhile, he won't be on them continually for awhile, the stubbies will still be used on a daily basis for awhile, more surgeries may interrupt his progress for awhile, and there will be good and bad days forever. Sounds a little like he is getting back to normal, doesn't it?

Speaking about getting back to normal, David just talked to me for a moment before he rolled into bed. He said, "Dad, I think tomorrow is a good day for the blog to come to an end!" David is a very private individual and he feels that his life has been very much exposed for almost 8 months and now it is time to close this book. I told him that I would like to put an entry in when he hits different highlights and gets over the next big hurdle, but he mentioned that those who really care enough to know can give him a call on the phone. I know he is right and I have told him that I will honor his wishes. So, tomorrow will be the final entry in respect for David's request. I'm not sad, I have felt very peaceful about this whole situation for a long time now and find it very easy to smile and enjoy every day. David is going to be just fine, he is a fine young man with the same problems we face every day and a few extras to challenge his character, but I have absolutely no doubt that he will come out stronger, wiser, funnier, more compassionate, and an entirely stronger man for this entire experience.

For those of you who have followed David's Triumph, it would be fitting for you to make an entry to this blog. I know there are many who can not seem to get on the blog to make an entry so I offer you my email address noylnodrog@msn.com to send a comment to David and I will make sure those comments get onto the final page of his blog.

I have enjoyed many tender and funny moments with this keypad as I've tried to portray the emotions of each day so you can feel what is being felt by so many parents and soldiers here and at Bethesda and Walter Reed. David had another friend hit today and that young man is now a double amputee but, I'm told, he is still at Leatherneck in Afghanistan and is alert and already joking about his prosthetics. His friend John, who is so critical, is hanging in there - not out of the woods but still fighting the fight. The nurse who lost her legs and arms because of being exposed to Spinal Meningitis is catching the feeling of these great wounded warriors and has a smile on her face and is finding the realization that everything is going to be OK. She talks of how impressed she is with every one of these men.

When I am finally back at work, as an Independent Insurance Agent in case you need insurance, I plan to make a monthly donation for the remainder of my life to one of two or three organizations; The Wounded EOD Warrior Foundation, The Semper Fi Fund, or the Wounded Warrior Project. There are many other great organizations like the Yellow Ribbon Fund, The Good Guys, the Nice Guys, the Veterans, the Red Cross, the YMCA - just so many organizations that do so much for these young men and women. I sincerely think we, and this growing group of wounded heroes, owe a great debt of thanks to those Men and Women who served in earlier conflicts such as Vietnam - many of these men and women were treated like dirt when they returned from a war they did not create and they have fought long and hard to make sure that the current returning soldiers find an entirely different support system that gives them hope, encouragement, and a bright outlook on their futures.

I've learned a great deal from this experience and believe I have much more to learn. One lesson that I value greatly is that no matter what happens in our life, we are very very blessed by a loving and caring Heavenly Father that is very much aware of our struggles. I think one of the greatest things that I've learned is that, whether today is a fantastic day or today is a really crappy day, we need to recognize the fact that Heavenly Father has given us every day and is right there waiting to help and lift us if we just take the time to ask.

David still does some of the things that I, as a father, wish he wouldn't do, but I love him with all my heart and will always love him. I'm sure I still do stuff that he wishes I would do either. If my love can become more unconditional, I have succeeded indeed. I know I should have been focused on this goal all along, but this experience has given me a much greater understanding of what my life's goal should be - to be like our Savior, Jesus Christ. Charitable and forgiving are the two traits that come to mind first.

Thank You! Thank You for every prayer, for every thought, for every letter and card, for every call, and for your love and friendship - you are wonderful.

Good Night,

Gordon

1 comment:

  1. I will miss this blog when it goes! I met David's dad at church and was very much "prompted" to introduce myself to him, not knowing any of the circumstances surrounding his visit to our ward. I will miss following David's progress and miss being inspired by his determination. Any chance to reconsider? Anyway, take care, Gordon, David and family. Patty Katashima-SD 6th Ward

    ReplyDelete