Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 2123

Hello Again,

It is quite a bit harder to write this blog while I am sitting in Kaysville, Utah. I can't feel what is going on in Washington and have to rely on communications with David over the phone. If you're a guy, you'll know how hard that is, for example: Hi David, how's it going? Good! So, what did you do today? Same as usual! And what are you going to do the rest of the day? More of the same! Great to talk to you! You too Dad! That's us guys, sometimes we don't know where to take a conversation - but I am exaggerating quite a bit in order to put a smile on your face.

I can say that it was extremely hard to watch David drive out of the elevator and have the doors close to take us to the first floor and drive to the airport. I can sincerely say - it has been a bit of Hell not being with him. As Michael mentioned, this is a hard time for David because the reality of the situation has really set in. David has always been quite incredible at making the best out of everything and I have absolutely no doubt that this will be no different. Before I left I felt impressed to tell him that when he stood 6'4" again, everything would be different. I sincerely believe that.

Before we left, we approached the Red Cross and, through the prescription from Occupational Therapy, we were able to acquire a X-Box 360 with several games that David wanted. In talking with him today, he's started playing again and, as stupid as it sounds, that puts a great big lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. I want David to feel that all is going to be OK. This is one great step in my mind. I am so thankful for the different organizations that do so much to make David's reality tolerable. I am so thoroughly impressed with the fact that David does so much to encourage other soldiers with their situations at the same time he is feeling jealous that he is not at the stage of recovery they have achieved. My son is one great man and I love him.

David had the opportunity to visit with Michelle Obama today in the physical therapy room. He didn't say much about it because we were talking family stuff. I'll try to get more information when we talk next.

I can say that I much more enjoy watching David do his therapy than the therapy my wife has me do in trimming the bushes and trees around our home. I even got a sunburn now that I'm wearing short socks after David and JJ confirmed to me that the way I was wearing my socks made me look like a dork.

All My Love,

Gordon

5 comments:

  1. :) Dork...just doesn't fit Uncle Gordon! You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad he has the Xbox now. Know how much he enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is good news. With how David is we'll be playing XBox live soon and he'll be tearing us all apart. I can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey also, David if your still checking these comments, I love ya bro, and you impress the shizz outa me and always have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing what courage and strength you have Dave. You are so lucky to have such a supportive family and dedicated friends. We miss you and look forward to you coming west, so we can visit again. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete