Tuesday, August 10, 2010

MIKES VISIT TO D.C.

Mikes Visit to See David;
From the day he arrived in the US I was hesitant to visit; I was afraid of many things like; that the medications he was on were so powerful that might not remember my visit. That the pain would be so bad that we couldn’t try and do something, which wasn’t the case. I am extremely grateful that I was able to visit him and I hope to go again in a few months, or have them come here so we can do thanksgiving or Christmas together.
How was David? Let me just say this, I believe that David is entering what will be the hardest part yet. And I truly believe that phone calls, emails and stuff to help occupy his mind are going to be very important over the next few months.
He is very skinny; his eyes were big and looked tired and kind of sullen. Movement was definitely slower and his sense of humor and general happy/funny demeanor was gone, which was understandable and I didn’t question at first. I wasn’t sure if maybe he was as nervous to see me as I was to see him, I think there was nervousness on my and his part but I think we both masked it pretty good. Later in the trip I asked him about his sense of humor, I was told that when he was in Bethesda he was on some very serious medications quoted as being “10 times more powerful than crack cocaine” so while he was there his disposition was very cheerful. However here at Walter Reed David has pushed back on the medication and is relying simply on Percocet and a few others. Therefore his mind is much more aware of his injuries and he is going through part of what might be considered a grieving stage. I can’t imagine what it must feel like but Kathryn told me it’s a very good thing and it has to happen sooner or later as he begins his road to recovery.
How is his progress? Well his legs have to completely heal before he can get fitted for legs, and although he is getting close, the way the bone is re-growing could force Surgeons to open his leg back up and shave off jagged bone growth. Let’s all pray that’s not the case because David will be setback at least a few weeks if it’s necessary.
His room was very nicely decorated; quilts and different things were pinned to the walls, as well as all the different coins he had received from people like the Secretary of Defense, Commandant of the Marine Corp. and many others. Needless to say my collection totally sucks compared to David’s.
Thanks again for putting up with me David I had a great time.
Mike

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave! Just wanted to drop by and say that Eric and I continue to think about you and pray for you all the time! Reading your progress makes me teary eyed at times because you continue to push yourself past all of the limits set in front of you and that says a TON about you and your character!! We are back here (on the west coast) rooting you on and are so proud of you!! We love you man!!!!

    ReplyDelete