Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday, November 8, 2010 at 2213

A very busy and great day.

David had appointments at 10:30 and 2:30 today - OT and PT respectively. Prior to his first appointment he found out that his group would be arriving at approximately noon from Afghanistan. David desperately wanted to be standing to greet them and so we left early for the hospital in hopes that Pete could put his legs together fast enough. As soon as we got there we got hit with a curve - Pete told us that David's PT Therapist and his Primary Care Doctor would have to sign off on allowing David to stand at full height so soon.

David immediately took off to see April, his PT Therapist and I took off to meet with Dr. Pyo. Together we good all the approvals needed and the C-legs were immediately plugged in to charge a little before we had to leave. These people are so good to work with, they at the top of their respective professions and they are as personable as you can possibly imagine. Pete immediately put David's legs together but didn't have everything necessary to make David the full 6'4" man, but he did get him to about 6'1" which was close enough. The two legs together, including the sockets and the waist harness that he wears right now weigh 20.5 lbs.

I've discovered that, when you don't have the strength of your legs and the feel of your ankles and feet, all of the strength you need to stand comes from your lower back, your rear, and what's left of your thighs. David doesn't have a great deal of his left thigh so most of the stability comes from his rear and his lower back and it is amazing how much strength that takes.

Pete didn't have the time to hook the computer up and program the resistance in the legs. We got David in the legs and, yep, I choked up. He was taller than me and I loved every second of it.
He was standing on the ramp of the parallel bars which brought him up about 3 extra inches, so he was right where he belonged - 6'4" compared to me at 6' standing on the floor. I got a few photos and I still can't get the pictures from my camera to this computer so they'll have to come in a few days.

We immediately went out to the Jeep and got David in - that was a bit more of a trial but we succeeded. We got to Camp Pendleton as soon as we could because David did not want to miss this opportunity. I'll have to repent later for breaking a few minor speeding rules. I didn't run any stop signs though. That's a family joke. When David's younger sister, who shall remain anonymous, was learning to drive, David talked her in to believing that the Stop Signs with a white stripe around them were "Optional!" The first time she was pulled over for running a white striped stop sign, the policeman really got a good laugh out of David's training. I don't think he had the heart to give her the ticket.

We got to Pendleton in plenty of time because the bus bringing the guys from March AFB broke down on the freeway. When the bus arrived, a few of us helped David to his feet so he could greet his friends. What a beautiful sight - it was really much better than I could have imagined it. During the process I stood close to him so he could put some weight on me and I could feel his muscles trembling. My muscles almost got to the trembling stage because he is no small man, as a matter of fact, he is dang heavy.

It seemed like everyone had to get to David, they all embraced him as their friend and brother. I stood there as a very proud father. David was very glad to see all of them. I wish I could remember all of their names. Many of them just went by and initial. V, Z, D. It was just plain great. I met Adam, the soldier that was hurt during the same blast that hit David, and he had a few scars from the blast but never left the country.

If you remember from the early days of this blog, Adam Perkins was killed a few hours prior to David being hit. David didn't know for several weeks until I told him once I felt he was strong enough to deal with it. Adam Perkins should have been walking off that bus today. David pointed out his parents and I had the privilege of talking with them for awhile. They are wonderful people. We talked a bit about the soldiers who came to our doors to deliver the news and I couldn't hold my emotions. I don't know if it was the emotion of what I felt when the Marines came to my door or the emotion I thought Adam's mother must have felt when they came to her door. For whatever reason, I just put my head down and couldn't say anything for a few seconds as Adam's father put his arm around me. I feel like I have another family. The Perkins were incredible as well as Adam's wife Ignacia and their son they call Moose. They didn't have a son getting off that bus but they were there to show their support and I really admire their strength.

You know, I've learned some great things through all this. I feel like I'm learning how our Savior must feel about all of us. He looks past the tattoos, the cigarettes, the swearing, the crudeness, our judgemental behavior, etc., etc., etc., he looks past all of our imperfections and just sees the greatness and potential in each of us. If you were standing where I was today, I feel like you would know exactly what I am talking about, they are wonderful people doing wonderful things. I loved every minute of the day.

David tried to get a little closer to where the men were coming out of the bus ( I hope his therapist don't read this blog because David wasn't suppose to walk, just stand). David expressed that the steps with the full legs was actually easier than walking with the stubbies. That would have been fine if the left leg wouldn't have come off. Not really OFF, it just that David could feel himself lifting out of it each time he took another step. Needless to say, walking was not a good option - not yet anyway. I think he really liked looking up and the ones he use to look up at and down to the ones he has always been taller than.

I thought it would have made a great picture with me walking back to David's apartment. Here is David tooling along in his wheelchair with me walking behind with two legs with feet, socks, and shoes draped over my shoulder. I know some of you read this blog and think how devastating this must be, but please know that, as this whole store continues to unfold, it is very easy to smile and look forward to a very bring tomorrow.

Love You All,

Gordon

P.S. David had many special friends that just returned and I hope you know who you are. I don't put your names in here because I don't want you singled out, but please know how much he loves each of you. This was a very good day for him and it's your fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment