Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thursday, November 18 thru Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 1850

We're both alive. Since I hadn't written for a few days you probably thought we both had drowned in the wild Sand Diego surf. We survived and had a great time. David took his own kayak and I went with the instructor and we got safely through the surf and paddled up and down the coast for approximately 2 miles. I was really nice but we all drank some sea water on the way back in. A big wave tipped us all out. The nice thing is that they had a wheelchair that has balloon tires and I walked it right into the water and scooped David up and all is well. We did forget the earplugs for David's damaged ears but everything worked out just fine.

On Friday, they moved David up another 2 inches - his height right now hits me right about chin high and he's getting taller than many of the therapists he works with. When walking with the taller shorties, it is much more difficult. He's not got a favorite song that he walks to - if puts him in a great rhythm and he walked another 450 NON-STOP YARDS today. He is absolutely wet when he is done. He lays down directly after walking and I tie a strap around his legs to pull them together as much as possible. Laying in bed for over two months in a spread eagle position while his pelvis healed has taken it's tole on his flexibility. While his legs are strapped together he does sit ups and just continues to work hard until he is close to being sick. He obviously wants his full legs very bad.

Right now the 10th of December will be the end of 4 weeks so I think I'm looking forward to that day almost as much as David is. In case you don't remember what 4 weeks represents, that's when he gets knees and he will be standing close to full height. Very very very exciting.

This weekend has been very quite because it has been raining most of the time. Today, Sunday, David had the opportunity to spend about 7 hours with his friends at a barbecue. It was really nice for him to get away with his friends without prudy Dad hanging around.

Tomorrow is exciting, David will be getting a rack put on his jeep. Then Tuesday is really exciting because we should have the hand controls installed so David can take over the driving. I'm really liking his jeep but I would much rather him be the driver - these are all really important steps toward independence.

Thanksgiving is Thursday and my family has a tradition of going around the table and saying what we are thankful for. I'm thinking that this year I had better write it down because the second I think about all I am thankful for I get huge tears in my eyes and a big lump in my throat. For such a terrible situation, there is soooo much to be grateful for.

See you soon,

Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment