Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday, November 7, 2010 @ 1704

Hope You Had A Great Week...

Things are going just fine around here. On Thursday, when we arrived at OT (Occupational Therapy) they had David scheduled for a wood turning class. It's great! Five or Six Veterans bring their portable lathes and teach these wounded warriors, and other individuals that may have had a stroke to turn wood into a bowl or a top or a canter cork. I would have never thought it to be a "therapy" but it really is - with their concentration being so intense on that piece of wood, everything else seems to just go away, plus it really takes a great deal for them control some of these damaged limbs and control the intricate moves that must be made to accomplish an acceptable result. It was fun to watch and David really enjoyed it.

We had some time between appointments so David decided that we were going to go and visit some of the new inpatients. We talked to a Cpl Weiss who had been shot in the hand. It was a great visit and I was impressed by his upbeat attitude.

David, as a passing note, told me that he lost another friend in Afghanistan. We all want this to stop - I'm learning that a major reason this mess continues is because of the stupid individuals that continue to push the drug trade or take the drugs. Many of the people of Afghanistan have two choices, die or grow the drugs they are told to grow. I really don't know how to feel about the whole mess.

On Friday, there was a great amount of the military I remember - Hurry Up and Wait. Everything David tried to do seem to become harder and harder to get done because of one thing or another. When he was walking, every step sounded like he had a leaky valve or a flat tire. We ended up in prosthetics and they had to put some sealant around his relief valve and that ended the walking for the day. It was a bit discouraging to David because he just wants to keep going. He is worried that, if he doesn't push it to the limit each day, he'll pick up extra weight. With most of us, picking up 10 pounds is not a serious thing, with prosthetics, 10 pounds could mean a socket that doesn't fit - it's a very careful balance that much be achieved and maintained.
After he realized there would be no more walking for the day we went back to PT and he did a bunch of pilates until he was wet wit sweat. That rhymed!!!
David was extremely lifted by the presence of Jesse Cottle, a double amputee from about 14 or 15 months ago. He was there getting a new fitting on his prosthetics and, if you didn't notice the titanium and plastic on the end of his legs, you would think they were his natural legs. He looked great. He had been training for a marathon just before this adjustment had to be made and he is a double AK (above the knee) amputee just like David. David was totally encouraged and said, "if that is what I look like when this is all over, it will be great with me."

Tomorrow, the group of Marines that David was with when he deployed to Afghanistan will return. Pete, David's Prosthetist, is allowing him to put on his full legs - if you remember, that's approximately $225,000 worth of technology in Civilian dollars. David always gets upset at me when I take another photo of him but I've told him that I don't care whether he likes it or not, I'm taking a picture of him when he is 6'4" again. My emotions are really close to the surface with the thought of tomorrow. David and I were watching an extremely stupid movie, Hot Rod, and I even found spots in that movie to get a lump in my throat. I think David is really looking forward to that feeling.
Today as I was coming back from church I saw a beautiful 1969 fully restored Chevelle coming the opposite direction and I saw a gloved hand waving from the passenger side. I quickly realized it was David waving good-bye as he went out with his buddies. I am so glad he has such great friends. Tony and Brian and David just went cruisin'. He came back in great spirits. This is all going to be fine.

I wish I had a movie camera to get a recording of him standing - I'll do what I can and get it on the blog as soon as I can.

Have a great sleep - goodnight!

Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment