Sunday, May 23, 2010

May 23, 2010 15:48

Just some updates at 15:48 pm 23 May 2010
David is somewhat awake and responding to us verbally. He is a little incoherent and some of this statements do not make a great deal of sense but the following statements make all the sense in the world.
"This place sucks!"
"I am so mad, they got me!"
"I'm so sorry mom, I should have known!"
"Can I have a popcicle?" Mom asked, do you want a popcicle and he gave a very definite and drawn out - "Yessssssssss!"

We showed him the photo of he and Ethen laughing and he got a big smile on his face. He keeps saying that he wants to talk to Ethen, but I know he can't really converse in such a way, right now, to give Ethen the assurances he may need.

We are all standing around him and caressing him and he is very aware of our presence. He knows that his arm was really hurt badly and he can feel some of the pain right now. He has been told that he is going to have to learn to walk again with prosthetics and Katherine asked if he would be good and patient and he calmly said "Noooooo!" He said, "Let's just get on with it!" We have told him that you all love him and he says "I love you too!"

He is off the ventilator and they have removed the oxygen mask so he now just has the breathing thingy that goes around your ears and supplies extra oxygen in the nostrils.

My heart is very full of love and appreciation that he has his faculties, his sense of humor, and I have absolutely no concern that he is going to spring back and do everything within his power to be "All He Can Be!".

He feels bad that he can not hold Katherine. Katherine talked about getting some good movies and that they would just lay down together and watch movies while he got better. He said "as long as I get to be a participant!"

As hard as this whole thing is, it is all going to end great. If you were to look at David with the sheets over his waist, he just looks like the David we all know and love - the only thing you would see is the lines running in to give him medications through the left arm and on the chest just right of his left shoulder (if you're in facing the same direction as David). His right arm is wrapped with an ace wrap and you can see his fingers and thumb sticking out the end. His color is great and he just looks like our fun loving David.

I will give you updates as things progress.

Love Dad
Love Gordon

1 comment:

  1. "i can't believe they got me" That's so David! i'm glad he's handling it ok so far. And I'm really glad Katherine is there too.

    ReplyDelete