Wednesday, May 26, 2010

May 26, 2010 at 1845

David just came back from another three hours of surgery. Two members of the Orthopedic Trauma surgical team, including Commander Mark E. Fleming, have already visited with us to let us know that more muscle from the back side of the left leg had to be removed. The right leg seems to be healing very well and there was no revision to the length of the legs but that is still a possibility.
We were told that the Commandant of the Naval Medical School would be doing surgery on David's right hand this coming Friday. The surgical team, including the plastic surgery team was present in the operating room today to take closer looks at the wounds on his hand and arm and determine a strategy for repair. There will be the Commandant working on the muscles of the hand, a different surgeon working on the muscles in the arm, a different surgeon attempting to do tendon repairs, and then a plastic surgery team working on the entire arm and hand. There is still the possibility of amputation to his pinkie finger but I'm really not sure if that determination has been made or not.
These Marines really take care of their own. The Wounded EOD Warrior Foundation, the Semper Fi Fund, the Yellow Ribbon Fund, the Marine Mothers and many other organizations do so much to make this experience as painless as possible financially.
So many great people doing so many great things.

There are many in Brother Gatten's ward out here going to the Temple with us tomorrow.

I think most of my tears these last couple days are coming from the beautiful little things David is saying and the incredible well wishes, prayers, and love we are receiving from YOU.

All My Love,

Gordon, Dad, etc. etc. etc.

4 comments:

  1. Hello - my name is Amanda Palsson Armstrong and I am a classmate of David's from Davis High School, class of 2000. Another classmate, Shawnee Hallows Salisbury informed me of David's service and of this blog. I was hoping I could put a link on the DHS reunion page and let people know how David is doing. Email me back at amandaarmstrong82@gmail.com. Please let David know that my family and I would like to thank him for his service and wish him the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Jim - Hello from the Haygood family, from in Lynette's past. We are all humbled by David's sacrifice and pulling for him, and for the family and friends that surround him. We're sending strength and comfort from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have an address for us, so that we can mail Dave a card? We hope that you are all doing well, and getting enough rest. Dave, we love you! Heal! Heal! Heal! Lots of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gordon and Lynnette,
    I'm sorry I can't be there with you. Not that I could be of any help. I read your posts several times a day. And I cry with you, and smile at times at some of Davids antics.
    My love to all.

    ReplyDelete