Saturday, May 29, 2010

Saturday May 29, 2010 at 1210

A good day so far.
It is very impressive to watch the orchestration of this ICU. There was an entire team here this morning that went over every possible area of David's medications, readings, inputs, outputs and made adjustments to make sure he had the best possible comfort and every possible precaution to any further problems. David is really resting well today. They did have to get a blood gas reading from a vein in his wrist and, surprisingly to me, the fact that the technician had such a hard time finding the vein seemed to hurt me worse than David and I had to leave the room. Lynnette and I aren't even on medication and we get a bit confused when our emotions are triggered by the smallest little things.
I mentioned to the team that he had asked for Popsicles several times and today is the day!!! Yes, oh yes - they gave the OK. When I told him he could have some he gave the ever-impressive-yet quite cheer that his brother-in-law Jay gives "oooowho". He specifically asked for Strawberry but Cherry was the only one on hand. He is scarfing them down and loving every second of it. Last night, while David was comfortably sleeping, right out of the silence he gave the "ooowho" cheer. It brought a smile to all of us. There is actually a great deal to smile about.
Last night his friend Seth Leonard came by to visit and it was great.
I was able to call his friends in Afghanistan and he was able to talk to Adam Roberts and Dave Moran. What a privilege to have such loyal friends.
David is still very sedated but tries to carry on an intelligent conversation. The sedation causes him to move the phone around so much that he can't even keep it to his ear. I took the phone and held it there and stroked his hair while he was talking. David was very sweet and was tenderly stroking my arm as I stroked his hair.
It is so impressive for these incredibly strong, in body and spirit, warrior Marines to be so able to protect our country and the freedoms of others in the terrible situations they face and, at the same moment, be so sensitive, considerate, respectful, and tender.
I have had so many comments of the tears that flow as you read some of these blogs - I want you to know that the beautiful and sentimental comments you make at the end of these blogs is just as touching to us.

All My Love,
Gordon

2 comments:

  1. This is Sandra, Heather's Aunt. I have read every word of your blog, and while my heart aches for the pain all of you are going through, especially David, I am so glad for you that you have your son and are able to kiss and hug him!! I know he will be thankful for the day when he can kiss and hug Ethen. I think about David every day, and I am going to email all of my friends and tell them to give blood in honor of all of our injured soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gordon, thank you so much for the updates. I love to read every word of your blogs wich make me smile and at the same time sadened for what one of my best freinds is going through. I can picture all your details having work were I do, I have seen these stories play out so many times, and let me tell you things sound very good with David. Please tell David I say hi and I think of him many times throughout the day. I send my love.

    ReplyDelete