Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 2047 EST

Lynnette read my last blog and expressed that I should not try to paint a better picture than is reality. When we were about to arrive at David's room, you can imagine what we expected to see knowing that David has been hit by an expolsive designed to destroy vehicles and anything else coming near it, knowing that his left leg is now amputated about 4" below his groin, that his right leg is amputated about 4" above the knee, that his right arm, as described by the trama surgeon in Landstuhl, Germany, looked like it had taken a direct hit from a hand grenade, with the meaty area of the thumb - the meaty area of the palm, the meaty area and tendon on the inside of the arm just below the elbow all being gone. Knowing that the pinky finger and ring finger of his right hand may end up with only limited use, knowing that his pinky finger and his thumb near the wrist, and his pointer finger, and his elbow had all been badly broken and would probably need screws. Knowing that he had a contraption screwed into both hips holding several bars that crossed like KNEXs across the outside of his pelvis to hold it together, and knowing that his pelvis was badly broken and would need to be screwed together in an upcoming surgery, knowing that his abdomen was left open so they could continue to monitor an arterial bleed that needed repair, and knowing that the wounds to his legs were still open wounds so they could heal from the inside out with the fact that wyith every surgery they may cut another fraction of a milimeter of his leg bone off - and on top of all that knowing that the function of his kidneys was still not where it should be, requiring dialysis every few days to clean his blood, and knowing that his breathing has to be regulated by a machine, that he had feeding tubes and sucking tubes going in an out of him with a repaired hole in his lung.
Yes, you can imagine what I was expecting to see when I walked into his room for the first time. Instead, I saw my beautiful son, respectfully covered from the waist down, with a heavily bandaged right arm and all the wires I described and I thought it was a beautiful sight and still do. Sometimes I try to describe things that will protect you instead of allowing you to see, through words, the reality of the situation.

I think that should put things in perspective.


I want to share something with all of you.
While on the plane from German to Washington D.C., the nurse taking care of David was handed the following note and was asked to make sure that David received it:

"21 May 2010
My Fellow Service Member,
I amtruely honored to have been able to share the flight home with you.
I want you to know that your sacrafice and service will NOT be, and are NOT for nothing, nor forgotten. I do not make empty or false promises and I stand by my word always. Therefore, as I continue on in the military, I will render all of my services; in such a way as: being professional, giving my selfless service, never accepting defeat, never quitting, with pride and respect, striving beyond the standard, and in honor of your sacrafice as well as those before today, and to come.
I will always remember your sacrafice and be encouraged and motivated. I give you all my respect!
No words can express my gratitude and sincerity.
Thank You seems so insignificant at expressing my appreciation.
You're strong, and I believe in you and that you'll carry on in strength.

Very Respectfully in Your Honor,

SPC (I have chosen to keep this individual's name out of this text but will find that individual and show our appreciation)

All Our Love - We'll Fill You in tomorrow.

Dad and Mom to family and Gordon and Lynnette to Friends and Loved Ones

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I am so glad that you got the hang of this Gordon. This is going to be so good to look back at. Tell David we love him!

    ReplyDelete