Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Night, May 31, 2010 at 2023

Just a little update on David, he really had a pretty good day today.
He will be receiving another two units of blood tonight.
At about 7 pm they decided to clean him up for the night and that included changing the linens, making sure the two weeks of laying on his back was not creating some bed sores, drawing all his lab work for surgery in the morning and re-wrapping his leg wounds. All went well until they had to take care of the re-wrap - that was extremely painful and David was so incredibly strong.
I was standing by his side and was looking toward his legs and he said, "Dad, look at me!" and then he asked me how long I was in Livermore, California. I immediately realized he was trying to draw my mind away from his legs and so we had a nice conversation about how I met his mother. We talked about when I was in the hospital ten years ago and I reminded him of how he carried a Christmas tree to my hospital room, he said "Dad, I would carry anything for you." I'm glad it's now my turn to help him. Even through all his pain, he is sooooo sensitive to our feelings and really tries to make things better for his mom and me.
He said "I know you want me to look at my legs..." and I stopped him and told him he had the rest of his life to look at his legs. I asked him to please not keep things inside - and I sincerely pray that he'll feel free to talk through everything when the time is right. If you have a Marine in your live, you know that they a very protective of the things they have experienced and seen and they keep those experiences completely to themselves as much as possible.
The Marine Corp duty office here at the hospital took us down and allowed us to pick up a bunch of free clothes for David. There are so many wonderful individuals that donate things to these soldiers. They gave me a back pack that was already stuffed with all kinds of things for him. When I got back to the room I went through the pack and found a package of 12 pairs of socks - needless to say, those socks are no longer in his pack.

We watched some episodes of Burn Notice and he fell to sleep.

If anyone of you decide you want to visit David, please don't think you need my permission. He wears out quite quickly but he sincerely loves to see his friends and associates. I believe he will be very touched by your beautiful comments posted on this blog. When it's all over, this will become a journal that he may want to continue writing as he runs in marathons, hikes mountains, goes trail biking, runs a river in a kayak, or simply tells stories to his children at their bedside.

Good Night Everyone.

Gordon

7 comments:

  1. Hang in there David. We are all pulling for you! We love you and will see you soon!

    Love, Mike, Tiff, Tate and baby Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Gordon and Aunt Layette,

    You'll have to sent out tips on raising such an amazing son. His ability to draw your attention away - just incrediable to be present for your feelings when he has to put some much energy into healing.

    We were at Arlington last Memorial Day Weekend 2009 and where also over come by the service. Today we where at Dad-Steve's grave, covered it in flags and prays and tears. I know he is surrounding us all in love and espeically David.

    Thinking of you and especially praying for David. Love, Diane, Scott, Josiah and Gabirela

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is with sincere regret that I heard of your incident from my son today. As a former Marine and father of two Marines, I know your sacrifice is one that you gave freely as a Marine and a Proud American. I am very proud of you !
    I wish I could have met you. I am also very proud of you for one more thing. You see, you saved the life of my son. First Sergeant Brian O'Toole in 2006. As your parents, I was full of fear and pain. Not knowing and being half way around the world, Helpless. God Bless Marines like you.
    I know your Marine Brothers must have taken care of you as best they could as you did with my son. There are no words to express how I feel. I don't even know you and I can feel your pain and loss.
    Please keep whatever faith you have in you. Where ever God takes us, He will walk through it with us. I will pray for you and your family. I wish I could do more to help and ease your pain. And please remember after your recovery, "It is our Duty to live our lives as best we can for our Brothers who didn't make it home."
    Thank you so much for helping bring my son home.
    God Bless You Marine !
    Former Marine,
    Cpl. Ron O'Toole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm prayin for you every day brother. Soon as you're up and movin' again we've got some adventuring to do!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are with you David. If anyone can get through this with flying colors, i'm sure it will be you! Thank you Gorodon for the blog. I know it must be hard to do. Regardless, I thank you for keeping us aware of what's going on with david. Love to you all, Mom/Grandma Vasey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gordon-
    My name is Chantel Hansen Clinger. I am a friend of Dave's from Junior High up through High School. We haven't been in contact since we graduated, however he was always such a nice guy. I remember hanging out often and Dave would have us all rolling on the ground, because he always had such a great sense of humor. I am glad to know that he still has it. That will go a long way in the healing process. I would love to plan something when the time comes that he can come home. Maybe I'll send you Catherine a letter so we can decide something that way. I haven't met Catherine, but give her a hug for me and tell her that she is in my prayers. I have thought about this so often since it happened, and can't imagine having something like this happen to my spouse or my child for that matter. It breaks my heart the things that you are all having to deal with. God bless you all and tell Dave hi from me and I am so greatful that he was willing and strong enough to go over and fight for our freedom and liberties. I thought a lot about his sacrifice yesterday. My grandpa was a Lt. Col in the Air Force and I know a lot about patriotism from him. Thank you a million times over. Thank you for keeping us all updated. I previously left a comment but it didn't post, but I wanted to make sure and let you know that one more household was praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave, You are so deserving of The Purple Heart! Your sacrifice is unselfless. You are such an amazing young man with so much determination. Much congratulations on your very deserved recognition of what you have done for our country. You are truly a brave man! You are a hero!

    ReplyDelete