Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tuesday June 1, 2010 at 1930

David went into surgery today about 0845 and I kept calling and checking and calling and checking until 3 pm and he had just barely come back to his room. I have to admit that it really scared me. I went in to his room, he smiled, and I knew all was well, but the waiting and the wondering and then the young man in the room two doors down from him was receiving his Purple Heart and a Promotion today and when my thoughts went forward to this Thursday when David will receive his Purple Heart, my emotions all came to the surface. I thought of all my kids and just how proud I am of the hurdles they have all overcome and continue to overcome, of what kind and warm and funny and incredible individuals they are - I hope every parent reading this knows what I mean and how I feel.
Yesterday when we went to the Arlington Cemetery, we walked past a young man in uniform and we commented on how great he looked and we asked if his parents were proud of their soldier. To our surprise, he said his parents have absolutely no idea where he is or what he is doing. He has no idea where they are either. I was able to acquired his name and his father's name and am going to try and get them back in contact with each other.
OK, enough gush - back to David.
His legs had very little debrisment of dead skin or muscle today and so the loss of blood during surgery was greatly reduced. Normally he goes through about 3 hours of dialysis and today was only an hour. His kidneys are still performing way below the necessary level.
We thought they were going to change the fixator today but there was absolutely no change, it still looks like a creative Knex set screwed into the front of his pelvis. We also thought that the fixator would go away shortly after they put the titanium screws in his pelvis, but the screws are now in place and we found out that the fixator will be in place for about 3 months. I guess it's not like breaking the bone in your arm, the weight bearing bones take drastically longer to heal. It will be necessary to change the position of the fixator from the front of the hips to the outside of the hips to allow for the right wrist to be attached to the groin area skin flap that will need to be created.
We found out that the attachment of the arm to the abdomen and the hand to the groin will probably happen this Friday. The area just below the joint of the elbow still has an area about the size of a silver dollar that will need some extra tissue and the physician specializing in that are is still trying to determine whether to use a muscle fold out of the back of the right shoulder or use the skin flap of the abdomen.
I'm thinking there are many more surgeries to come. I think they are trying to schedule surgery around the Purple Heart presentation to make sure David is as clear headed as he can be when the time comes.
I know I'll think of more to tell you as soon as I press "PUBLISH POST", but I'll end for now.

Have A Wonderful Night,

Proud Father, Gordon

5 comments:

  1. I'm so amazed at how sophisticated the medical procedures are! How lucky that David has good doctors and nurses, and that we're in a time when they have the tools, equipment and knowledge to make such good decisions and give him such amazing care!

    thanks so much for keeping us all updated! I look forward to the updates every day- multiple times a day. Love you guys!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell David how much our family loves him. It was a wonderful privilege to fast for him last week. He continues to be in our prayers. We are so grateful you get to be beside him.

    Love,

    Steve and Janice LeFevre and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brother, We just Wanted to let you know that we are here anxiously awaiting your returnt o Cali. Love you Brother!


    Phantom Fury MC

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Heather McPherson (Taylor)--I went to high school with your kids and I just heard about this blog and David's service in the Marines--as well as his injuries--today from the high school reunion blog. Just wanted to share our positive wishes for David and want your family to know there is one more person here praying for him and your family. I can only imagine that the healing process will be significant, but from what you are writing, it sounds like David is prepared to take it on. My mom once was wondering "Why to bad things happen to good people?" when she saw a book with that exact title. She read it, and the point was: "People who ask this question are asking the wrong question. They should be asking, 'What happens to good people when bad things happen to them?' and the answer is, 'They become better people.'" Thank you for keeping your loved ones posted, and thank you, David, for serving our country and sacrificing yourself for our freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Gordon and Lynnette for raising wonderful sons and daughters. Thank you David for serving our country and preserving our freedoms here. You truly represent the 'Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave'. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family for years to come. My heart is full and emotions run deep. Words cannot express enough thanks for your service and sacrifice. When you are able, we will welcome you to our home, schools, and church to tell your story of patriotsm and courage. May God Bless you thru all your life.

    ReplyDelete