Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday, June 11,2010 at 1146

Another step forward. They took out the direct line that has been used for dialysis. That is an extremely great step.

Sorry Grandma, David chose to shave his mustache this morning. I guess the contest in Afghanistan is: who has the thickest mustache. David WON - I'm sure of it. It took several different angles with the electric trimmers and about 10 minutes with the razor to get it down to a shadow. David now has a smooth face and is ready for visitors.

David still has a bit of a fungus infection from Afghanistan but seems to be working through it. Unfortunately, the medications for the fungus are limited and the one that does the best job against the fungus also does the worst damage to the kidneys. This is one, very critical, balancing act. We found out that another young man, still in the ICU, is fighting the same fungus and it is a very serious fight for his life because of the extent of his injuries and his weakened physical state.

This morning I told David that many of his friends in Afghanistan were following the blog and asked if would like to send them a message. He said "Things are coming along fine here and it won't be that long before I'm back out doing things with you guys!"

He is really very positive. The only times I feel he is not upbeat is when the drugs are playing with his head. He absolutely hates the feeling of being loopy. I can tell that he is trying, as much as possible, to endure the pain in order to have a clear head. When he looks at us now, he is looking through much clearer eyes - he is much more aware.

Today may be a difficult day for David because he has not yet been informed about the death of his close friend, Adam Perkins. I believe Adam was killed the same day David was hurt. We were told that was a tough week in Afghanistan. The team here told us that bad news like this is best received when delivered by the military. We have known for a few weeks but were encouraged, by his doctors, not to tell him just yet. We have asked Seth Leonard to deliver the news - Seth is a great friend and the three of them seemed to be the 3 Amigos of Miramar.

1 Hour Later - David now knows. This is definitely a down moment and it has absolutely nothing to do with the drugs. He said there couldn't have been any worse news he could have received today. Knowing David as I do makes me admire this situation even more. I know, without a shadow of doubt, that if David were still in Afghanistan, there would be absolutely no retribution toward the Afghan people. David's first concern after the initial shock was for Adam's wife. If all of you EODs think that same way - God Bless You! That is one thing I really value with our soldiers, they value a life - their own as well as the life of others - even those perceived to be their enemy.

Like the firefighters of 9/11 - these incredibly brave men do not retreat or hesitate, the run straight toward the danger in an effort to put a quick resolve to it.

When Lynnette and I went to Camp Pendleton to visit David last year, he showed us a memorial bulletin board with the photos of the EODs who had been lost. That was a very tender moment for me and I still feel a great love for those young men. While we were standing in front of the photos, David said "They gave their lives doing what they loved!" David's comment quickly put things back in perspective.

One of the assistant nurses here, a tall husky gentleman, just came out of David's room after helping with an unpleasant procedure for David. The guy was a little emotional but very serious when he said, referring to David, "I love that guy, I would love to have a hundred like him!" How successful would all of our lives be if those we associate with and rub shoulders with each day could say the same things about us? If people could see me, all teary eyed, in this computer cubicle, they would think I am falling apart - I'm really not, I'm grateful and proud.

All the emotions that show up from the time I start this blog entry to the time I finish is just amazing to me.

Have A Great Day,

Dad, Gordon, Uncle Gordon, Grandpa, Little Brother

No comments:

Post a Comment