Thursday, June 3, 2010

Purple Heart Night - June 3, 2010 at 2235

What a day. David came back from surgery and they really had a hard time getting control of his pain level. Once again they asked, "on a scale of 1 - 10, what is your pain level?" he said "12!". He was really hurting everywhere. Once the pain was under control we got him dressed for his big day and we closed the door, for the first time since we've been here, and let him sleep for two to three straight hours.
4 Star General James T. Conway - Commandant of the United States Marine Corp and his wife came in with their photographer and entourage. I can not possibly tell you just how impressed I am with the leadership of the United States Marine Corp. He, along with General Amos, are gentlemen, they are gentle men, they love their Marines, they are genuinely interested in the welfare of their solders, before, during, and after their injuries. I can't help but think that the injuries have anything to do with their love and respect for their Marines. This is one of the strongest brotherhoods I have ever seen or felt.
I am so proud of David. Not for the Purple Heart. If you were here, hearing of some of David's assignments and realizing what he has been protecting his mother and I from, receiving the calls I am receiving from comrades still in Afghanistan, soldiers who have served with him, soldiers who were protected by him, friends who have been influenced by him - you would have an entirely new view of who he has been and who he has become. That's why I am proud of David. I know, I know, he's not perfect, I can't say that of anyone I know and especially not myself although my wife is pretty darn close.
David also received another award today. The EOD specialty has three levels, EOD, Senior EOD and Master EOD. David had already been approved for the advancement and the Commandant and Master Gunny Sergeant Todd awarded it to him directly after he received the Purple Heart.
The Commandant asked about the incident and David gave him a quick sketch of the whole thing. The General had, obviously, already read the full account. David told him he lost his little finger but immediately told the General that he wasn't using it anyway. The whole things was absolutely fantastic.
The General's wife Annette was equally gracious and involved. She grabbed my camera and started taking pictures, she awarded Lynnette with a Mother's Purple Heart Pendant. She was beautiful in every way - I'm quite sure she takes just as much pride and shows just as much love and caring for the Marines as does her husband. If I am correct, he referred to her as the Acting Marine Corp Gunny. I can't quote that because I didn't hear it exactly.
David's kidneys started rebounding today - OK, here come the tears again. Every step in the right direction is such a tender mercy.
Happy Birthday Katie - I know you understand us not being there but we'll make it up to you.
Whatever else we have forgotten or missed or overlooked, I'm sorry and we'll make that up to whomever.
David is sleeping well. Surgery again tomorrow. Hopefully another step forward day.

Love to all of you.

Gordon, Dad, Friend, In Debtor






8 comments:

  1. I am so proud of David. He is such a strong person. The Purple Heart is such an amazing award. I am glad that David was humble enough to accept it. It is good to hear that his kidneys are rebounding. That is such great news! My husband and I are keeping him in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dad. We really need to get the pictures working so we can see David getting his award!! I'm hoping to come out next friday and can't wait to see David! Give him a hug and kiss for me.
    Love Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Rachelle said it best, give him a hug and kiss for all of us. :) Not to take from Rachelle. but after her hug and kiss, then get one in for all of us! And yes, it is nice to hear that posative steps are being made. I still cant wait till he gets home. I would love to come out there, but times are tough for lots and I fall into that catagory. I still may get out there yet! And Gordon, more importantly, thank you and Lynnette for being who you are and for your family. Thank you for taking the time to update all of us who care for Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How proud we all are of David! And of you guys! I love that there is a Mother's Purple Heart pendant! The recognition of the impact of a soldier's sacrifice on a whole family! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, You are an inspiration to me and my little family. We read the blog every day and discuss your progress. We love you and your parents.

    Having a father who fought in WWII I have a deep and abiding love and respect for those who sacrifice so much to serve our country. Your service will be remembered forever. I am grateful to you for your willingness to serve and protect not only those in our country but those you served in Afghanistan.

    Thank you.

    Edye Wagstaff

    ReplyDelete
  6. How incredible!! I am so proud to have him as my brother-in-law.. He is one of the strongest men i have ever met. I love you David, keep up the good progress and congratulations on the awards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful award, and David certainly deserves it. I love reading every word of this blog and I am impressed with yours and lynettes and Davids strength. We will keep praying that things continue to go well and the "bumps" will come less and less.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sitting at work right now in tears!!! I can't imagine what a precious moment this was, but believe me, it touched my heart!! I am praying for you all right now!!

    With love,
    Marti Franke

    ReplyDelete