Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Wednesday June 2, 2010 at 1141

Good Morning,
David has a pretty good night but he is really going to be zonked for awhile today as his lab work indicated that he needed another 4 hours of dialysis today.
A few blogs ago I commented on the experience when David drew my attention away from his legs, but I forgot to mention a few other things that you should know. David, at that time, expressed that he saw his legs when they were "BAD!" He saw them directly after the blast. He was awake for awhile after the blast occurred and the told Catherine that "I knew as soon as I was loaded on the chopper that I would live!"
I have found that, when blasts like this occur, it is extremely difficult for the medical team to find a vein that can be used for and IV. Because of that it is necessary to force a large needle through the sternum. David has had field medical training and was aware of the procedure and even more aware of it when they had to do it on him. He explained to his Marine buddies that it hurt - needless to say, he did not use "it hurt!" to explain the pain.
David is sleeping well right now - the dialysis is very tiring.
I wanted to share a the sentiments of a U.S. Navy Seal that was written on a poster outside his hospital room during the time he underwent 27 reconstructive surgeries to his face after he has hit by a bullet:

ATTENTION
to all who enter here

if you are coming into this room
with sorrow or to feel sorry for my
wounds - go elsewhere. The wounds
I received, I got in a job I love, doing
it for people I love, supporting the
freedom of a country I deeply love. I
am incredibly tough and will make a
full recovery. What is full? That is the
absolute utmost physically my body
has the ability to recover. Then I will
push that about 20% further through
sheer mental tenacity. This room you
are about to enter is a room of fun,
optimism, and intense rapid regrowth.
If you are not prepared for that, go
elsewhere.
From: The Management

I know, without question, that is exactly how David feels. Don't feel sad, feel grateful.

5 comments:

  1. David is a very strong willed individual who wont let anything get in the way of what he wants to achieve. I have seen him over come great obstacles and come out on top! Your a fighter David keep fighting, your a great inspiration to me.
    Love you!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I love your strength and get strength just reading these pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah i am tickled pink about him. i am happy and grateful for what we have. when you (Gordon) called me with the news, i thought the worst, and have had a hard time with the incident. but i knew and know in my heart that everything would be ok. i even told my wife that dave is too strong to be held down. one of the first thoughts that came to mind was the movie, "Men of Honor" and how that Navy Diver overcame things that werent really heard of then. and then i just smiled and laughed because i know dave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS...I knew when dave and i met in 2004 before going to Iraq that we would be Friends. he was one of very few that i enoyed to be around. plus he liked all the attention and girls i brought to the table. LOL. ask him about it. great stories from those days!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. David your amazing! We miss you and I cant wait to come out and see you. After this pregnancy i should have plenty of leftover skin if you can just wait until then:) gross I love you

    ReplyDelete