Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 1230

Well, it's one of those bumps in the road.

David has been running a low grade fever these last few days and now we've found out why. David is now in recovery but his surgeon came in and talked with us.

Both left and right leg had to be re-opened. Some of the tissues on the back of the left leg had to be removed because it was no longer viable. The right leg has incisions on both the inner and the outer side of the leg and both areas had to be re-opened and cut down a little because the tissue was just not healthy. The wonderful thing about these surgeons is that they are doing everything within their power to preserve the length of his legs so he can have better results with the prosthetics.

We have learned that the length of the leg that remains is directly proportionate to the amount of energy it takes to walk. The more length, the less energy - the shorter the leg, the more energy it takes simply to walk.

The wound vacs are back in place on both legs and David is scheduled, once again, for surgery on Saturday. They have sent tissue cultures to the lab and, depending on the results of those cultures, they will determine if they can close the wounds again.
With these new findings, they did not want to spend the extra time, today, to make the revisions to the fixator. When David came back to the room he was confused and a little upset because he could still see the fixator sticking up and thought that they did not even do surgery. He had been told, a few times, that today's procedures would include the fixator revision and it was a bit disappointing that it was not done.
The arm and hand are healing well and as planned.

Last night Catherine was talking with David and she was trying to talk with him about things that make people happy. She asked what made him happy and he said, "being an EOD TECH!" she asked why and he said "Because I get to bring my boys home and save lives!" This, as best as we can determine, is a self determined mission of every EOD, and I sincerely THANK all of you EODs for that incredible effort and for the compassion you show. David has talked about other deployments and has been very proud of bringing everyone back home and safe.
If everyone reading this blog does not have a greater love and appreciation for every serviceman, no matter what service they are in and no matter where they are serving, then I am not writing this well enough.
I'm in the waiting room writing this blog and I'm listening to another father talk about his sons unit who just had 5 more killed. That's a total of 7 dead and 2 wounded in his unit.
Since I joined the U.S. Navy and stood, at what I considered to be "ATTENTION", and listened to the Star Spangled Banner, I have never been able to hear that song or any other military theme song that did not give me a big lump in my throat. I know that will never change.
What I'm feeling right now and through my tears ........................ I don't even know what to say!
I guess - GOD BLESS AMERICA - sums it up better than anything.
Gordon

7 comments:

  1. David,
    Super stoked about your recovery and the progress you have made. I know these little road bumps can be super hard but try not to let them bum you out bro. I have been thinking about you alot and all the fun times we had growing up, we sure got into a hell of alot of trouble but it was all worth it. A few of our old friends have called me and have asked alot about you, I just thought you would like to know that there are a ton of us old school friends thinking about you and pulling for you out here in Utah. Lastly I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work and service. It is crazy what you guys do out there day in and day out so all americans can enjoy our freedom. Thank you so much. I know your service probably isnt over, just rather a new chapter has started. I know you well enough that I get stoked to think of what you are going to do once you get out of the hospital, your one bad ass motha F$%&er.
    your long friend,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.
    Sorry about the "R" rated language, I know this blog is family friendly. However my last post was intended for no one other than David himself. (Our mothers would be so proud...LOL)Oh and David, if you ever in the future decide to spend some time back in Utah, hit me up and well head out into the hills. (No pun intended on the "long friend" we both know I am not that lucky)I'm an Idiot!
    Love,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. TO DAVID AND FAMILY-

    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO US ALL. I WAS A GOOD FRIEND OF YOUR BROTHER MIKE IN HIGH SCHOOL AND HAVE BEEN SUPER HUMBLED READING THIS BLOG AND JUST GRATEFUL! THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS AMAZING STORY THAT I HAVE PASSED ON TO SO MANY IT'S TRULY A MIRACLE AND AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL. GOOD LUCK DAVID, YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYERS AS A FAMILY. HOW BLESSED WE ARE TO HAVE MILITARY LIKE YOU OUT THERE SERVING OUR COUNTRY AND REMINDING US ALL WHAT IT TRULY MEANS TO BE AN AMERICAN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lyons,
    I’ve followed this blog nearly daily. It has been inspiring to me to observe your humble, positive response to what is going on with your family. I’m amazed at David’s strength, and thrilled to witness his devotion to his family and country. Your neighbors and friend back here in Kaysville, continue to keep you all in our prayers. A couple of Sundays ago, as I conducted Sacrament meeting, I wanted to speak to the ward regarding David. Knowing I would be out of town, on Memorial Day weekend, I decided to also recognize the vets in the congregation. I asked the vets in the congregation to stand. I expected about half a dozen to stand, but was thrilled to have nearly 30 vets stand. Many of them were visiting because Brother and Sister Baxter’s were speaking. I was pleased to have so many of them present. I want to express my gratitude to David, and to all of the vets, for the freedoms I enjoy. I believe that God has blessed America, and that one of the greatest blessings is the wonderful group of vets and current military men that risk so much to preserve our freedoms! Take care!!!
    Dixon Weston

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well i thought i posted yesterday but i guess it didnt go through. hopefully i can remeber what i put...

    Gordon, i too get choked up by the military songs. specifically the Marine Corps Hymn and Taps. that one is a real chocker for me. in our first deployment (dave and i) in fallujah, his team was kinda EOD Techish...they scouted the roads and found a number of IEDs for EOD to come and get rid of. in essence, he has been in the EOD business since he was a lil Devil Pup.

    Dave, remeber when we got back from Fallujah and we were driving on I15 northbound? i was driving and we were in the left lane. i spare tire was laying in the shoulder there on the left side. as we approached you yelled, "IED!!" without hesatation i almost landed us in the right lane. you cracked up laughing! i was skeered! i think i shat myself. nonetheless i laugh about it now. wasnt very funny for about 3 seconds and quickly we laughed. love you dude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. David, Gordon,& Lynette.
    We are so proud of you as a soldier, and a soldier's family. It is a privilege to know and love your parents. We are humbled and grteful for your service and will continue to pray for your complete healing and that you can lead the life you want, doing whatever you want, wherever you want. Thank you soooooooo much for serving and providing us the very same freedoms. We have been praying for you and belive, as Gordon does. The Lord has a plan, and if, in some life before this one, David stepped up and said "I will sacrifice, and serve so that others may be free", what more can we do but praise and honor him and his sacrifice? David, our family honors you, and those with whom you serve. We wish the Lords greatest blessings for you and will continue to pray for you daily.

    God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Scott's comment, that totally sounds like something David would say. Made me laugh out loud.

    David I think about you and pray for you every day. I am glad to hear that your recovery is coming along real well. You will be back out there doing all those crazy things I know you like to do real soon!

    ReplyDelete