Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 at 1000

First, let me give you David's new address:

LYON, David B
c/o NNMC
8901 Wisconsin Avenue
Bldg. 10 Ward 5E
Room 5
Bethesda, MD 20889-5601

I know I take many liberties with this blog and now I'm going to take another one. You EOD's out there are one incredible bunch of soldiers. I have not met one EOD that I didn't immediately respect and care about. I admire your courage and your bravery. One thing David told me that I think is great advice for all of us is that he firmly believes in "warm fuzzies or twinges or hesitations, and not just his own. If anyone had a "feeling", of any kind, it was time to STOP, ASSESS and proceed with EXTREME CAUTION - with no COWBOY HEROICS. Those warm fuzzy feelings may be a spirit of warning or a premanition of danger or whatever you want to call it - whatever it is - listen close and react cautiously. You are valuable as David's friends as well as many other's loved ones.

David is doing a great deal of sleeping and is starting to refuse some of the pain medications. Many times, yesterday, he would just keep shaking his head to try to clear the fuzziness. He, and I clearly recall the feeling, hates the feeling of such a lack of clarity while on some of this medication.
There are some concerns about his thinking processes because he is, from time to time, unable to perform tasks like saying the months of the year backwards. He has given his age as being 41. He is very confused at times and will wake up and give us a big smile and ask when we got there even though we had been there most of the day and talked with him several times.
I sincerely feel like it is the medication. He always knows who we are, he knows all his brothers and sisters and his nieces and nephews. I'm having a hard time keeping track of what day and date it is and I am not on any medications.
There is no surgery planned for today. To our current understanding, tomorrow they will be doing some adjustments to the external fixator on his pelvis and will be taking a very good look at all his wounds. We haven't been told just when the skin grafts will take place - I am assuming it will be very soon because the wound vacs on his right leg and on his right arm, where they took off the skin flap, are pulling very little fluid and seem to be ready to be closed.
The unfortunate part about the skin grafts is the fact that they will create an entirely new pain for David to have to endure.
Now that David is on the 5th floor, we start to see even more individuals and families that are dealing with this new reality. Some of the parents have "meltdowns" simply because of their inability to feel like they are able to do anything to make things better. I know that their presence is helpful, but when a Mother can't fix an oweee, or make them their favorite dessert, or put them on their lap - they just feel awful and helpless. I'm sure that any of you mothers, and fathers, understand exactly what I am saying.
We've now had full view of David's right arm and I most certainly understand why David said that he was surprised to see that he still had the arm when he woke up. I, and I am sure that David will feel the same, am so grateful that these surgeons are so skilled at giving him the utmost use of his arm that they could.
I need to get back in the room. You have a great day! David may have a new niece born today to Michael and Tiffany. Please give our beautiful granddaughter a soft kiss from Grandma and Grandpa and David.

XOXOXOXO

Gordon

3 comments:

  1. Wish that he could get some medicine that doesn't make him so loopy, but they probably wouldn't be as effective. The dr. told mike and tiff it wasn't time yet, so it will probably be next week if she doesn't go by herself. Can't wait to give David a hug on Friday! Love you all!
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gordon and Lynette (and David):

    We are so inspired by what we are reading; I have so much renewed admiration and gratitude for all of those who are serving in the military, but especially for those, like David, who are having to fight the battle of their lives against injury, infection, medication, and (for some) despair. You are in our thoughts all the time, and our prayers go up in your behalf, as well as all those who serve.

    Reed & Edye

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Andrea Nelson and I am a friend of your daughter Christina. I have been following your blog since she posted a link to it on facebook. Thank you for sharing his and your story with all who are reading. I had the pleasure of meeting David a couple of times over the last few years. The first was right before he left for his first tour to Afghanistan. In speaking with David it was very clear the pride he has for his country, the love he has for his job and the conviction he has that what he is doing is making a difference in the world. A true soldier, and as a military wife for 12 years I should know.
    I attended a conference at Energy Solutions arena in Salt Lake City yesterday. About 20 minutes before it was to start applause started to erupt from the crowd. I looked to the stage to see it empty. Looking around to see where it was coming from I quickly spotted a group of about 20 men in military uniform making there way to their VIP seats on the floor. The crowd was soon on their feet and continued applauding until the men had been seated. Twenty thousand people gave a standing ovation, not only to the military men there, but to all of our military members.
    Many times during the day the speakers I heard, one was General Colin Powell, spoke about what a great nation that we live in and every time those comments were met with roaring applause from the crowd.
    Know that the service your four sons are providing to our great nation is not going unrecognized. We are a proud, strong nation because of the men and women of the military who, everyday, defend it.
    Know that your family is being prayed for by many. Weather they post here or not.
    May God give you strength, and continue to bless your family.

    ReplyDelete